Top Ten Bookish Confessions (4)

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:27 PM

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the The Broke and the Bookish where you post a top ten list based on a bookish prompt. This week's Top Ten Tuesday is:

Top Ten Bookish Confessions

1. Peeking ahead - I have no patience when it comes to reading. I hate when I do it, but I will often skip ahead in the book for romance scenes or answers because I can't wait anymore. I will go back and read everything later, but then I already know what's going to happen. Not a great habit.

2. Staying up way past my bedtime - If I love a book, I will stay up insanely late, sometimes till dawn, to finish and then I'm tired the whole next day. But it's so worth it.

3. Don't hurt my books - I'm OCD when it comes to my books. I hate any dog-eared pages or creases. If there is anything wrong with my book and I'm aware of it, my eyes will constantly be drawn to that imperfection, and I'll be screaming inside. I also have to check every book before I buy it to make sure it's in pristine condition.

4. I sniff books - I'm in love with the smell of books and bookstores, especially when there's a cafe in the bookstore. There's nothing like the combined smell of coffee and books. If you see me taking a nice big whiff of a book, don't worry. I promise I'm mentally stable.

5. I'd rather buy new books than used ones - I go to Barnes and Noble way too much, and still don't have a membership. I spend so much more on books from there because I'm not a big fan of used books. I don't know where they've been.

6. I'd rather read than socialize - I have been known to read a book and be completely anti-social. I'll read all day, taking only breaks to eat, and talk to no one. It's unhealthy.

7. I'd choose fantasy over contemporary every time - I tend to avoid realistic fiction because I read books to escape reality. Although fantasy does echo the real world, I find some realistic fiction depressing or too close to my life for comfort. Not that my life's horrible or anything, but I'd rather read something unfamiliar. But I will read realistic fiction from time to time.

8. Prefer actual books to ebooks - I have so many books that I've yet to read on my Ipad because I always read the books I have in physical copy first. I prefer the actual book to the e-book. My poor Ipad, Ivy, gets neglected sometimes. Yes, I named my Ipad. Don't judge me. :)

9. I forget to read books that I own - There are books that have been sitting on my bookshelves for years that I have yet to read. I was just not in the mood to read them or I simply forgot they existed. I'm always discovering new books I don't even remember purchasing.

10. Not a multi-tasker - I cannot eat and read. It's too much multi-tasking for this challenged girl, and I'm always terrified I'll get something on my book (which brings me back to #3).

So, those are my humiliating book confessions. I know they're crazy. What about you? What bookish habits/quirks do you have to confess?

Happy reading,

Courtney

19 comments:

  1. Ah. I get rather anti-social when I'm reading a good book. I'll not answer my phone and hide. lol.

    http://www.caroleraesramblings.com/2012/08/top-ten-tuesday-i-confess.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah I tend to hide too. you can't even see my face. it's behind the book. :D thanks for stopping by carole!

      Delete
  2. I can't stand it when there are dog-eared pages! I also hate stains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the worst is when there's a huge crease down the spine. hate it! thanks for stopping by krystianna! :D

      Delete
  3. I always learn my lesson when trying to eat and read and almost always end up dripping something or touching it with grease hands. Sigh. I am awful.

    New books are so great! I love the feel of a brand new book.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I know it's only been mine and not someone else's. Selfish of me, I know.

      Delete
  4. Courtney, you and I are scarily alike. Anti-social book worms :) And I totally agree with #7. I like my books to be escapism in a good way not gritty sad realism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha like you said before: great minds think alike. And I love my escapism! Thanks for stopping by Adina!

      Delete
  5. You definitely need to get a B&N membership! I have gotten it 3 or 4 years straight. Online you get free shipping, plus a ton of the hardback YA books are 30-40% off if you buy online. And there is nothing wrong with naming inanimate objects! I have a teddy bear named Raul, my car is Jewel, and I have a stuffed om nom (from the game Cut the Rope) names Jack who travels with me :-) Great confessions, here's mine: http://whatsontheshelf.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/top-ten-tuesday-20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks! I love cut the rope! And I named my computer Macadamia. get it? cause it's a macbook pro. lol and yeah I'll have to get a membership. I guess it's worth it despite me being cheap and not wanting to spend the money. but you save over time so it works out.

      Delete
  6. Cute list :) I am anti-social when I'm into a book as well! and I also have trouble reading and eating... who is that coordinated??

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! No one is that coordinated. lol I'm a slob even without the book so it gets pretty dangerous with it.

      Delete
  7. What a funny set of confessions! I also love the smell of books, but I am totally cool with used books. I think of it as recycling!

    check out our bookish confessions: yafictionandwhiskeysours.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D that's true. it's kind of saving paper.

      Delete
  8. Eating and reading is never a good idea haha. And who doesn't like to get high off that new book smell? So good. Although it's awful when used books have that musty smell. Then I refuse to even touch the pages, practically. Like my copy of Bringing the Devil to His Knees. I haven't looked at it since class since it has this gross old book smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I agree. When pages are yellowed, I won't be able to smell them or I'm sneezing like crazy. :)

      Delete
  9. I can't read and eat either. I also go to Barnes and Noble all the time and I don't have a membership because about a month after I got my Borders membership the store closed and now I'm too paranoid to get a Barnes and Noble one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. But at least the Borders membership was free so you didn't lose your money. :) thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. YES, I can totally relate to all of these except for #1 (omigawd, I could NEVER do that! It would ruin the book for me!) and #10 (I love to snack and drink tea while reading. And while being EXTRA careful of course). But the rest: totally agree! I do so love the look and smell of new books!! So glad I'm not alone because I'm sure other people think it's mighty weird for a person to sniff a book. And I would absolutely choose reading a physical copy of a fantasy book on my own over reading an ebook of realistic fiction and socializing. It's just who we are and there's nothing wrong with that. Fantastic list this week, Courtney!

    ReplyDelete

Courtney Reads A Lot loves comments a lot! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2014 Courtney Reads A Lot
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs