Top Ten 2013 Debuts I'm Looking Forward To (14)

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday, there's a top ten list following a bookish prompt. This week's Top Ten Tuesday is:

Top Ten 2013 Debuts I'm Looking Forward To
I had considered joining the 2013 debut author challenge, but I'm not one for reading challenges. I don't like to be held to reading certain books. I'm more of a free spirit, and once I have to read a certain number of books, I lose all enjoyment in reading. It's like having to read a book for class. When I feel like I must do something, it's just not as fun.

There are so many 2013 debuts I've already heard about so it was hard choosing just 10, but I finally selected the right number. The following ten are the ones that seem to be my type of books; something Courtney would most likely read but we'll see if I actually do read them this year or not. I'm trying to read more adult fiction, and all of these fall under the young adult category.


1. Coda by Emma Trevayne - I literally just heard about this book, and the premise is what reeled me in. "By encoding music with addictive and mind-altering elements, the Corp holds control over all citizens, particularly conduits like Anthem, whose life energy feeds the main power in the Grid." That's sick right there. What a wild idea! Music is already addictive enough, but using music as a means of controlling the population? Genius! I need to read this book.

2. An Infidel in Paradise by S.J. Laidlaw - I don't just read a great historical fiction book; I devour it. And then I can go up to my history teacher boyfriend, and say HA! I read something about history. :D An Infidel in Paradise is set in Pakistan in a diplomatic compound, and that sounds fascinating. Plus, the cover is appealing.


3. The End Games by T. Michael Martin - Zombies! Horror! Post Apocalyptic! Oh my! I don't read a lot of zombie books, but this one has caught my eye for some reason. First of all, that cover is amazing. What a vivid shade of red! It looks like just my type of book. And I love how the monsters are called Bellows. It's a very creative premise with this mysterious Game Master, sort of sounds like the Hunger Games except for the flesh-eating creatures.

4. Breaking Glass by Lisa Amowitz - In Breaking Glass, Jeremy Glass begins receiving messages from his girlfriend. The only problem with that is she's dead, and he has to solve the mystery behind her death before he's next. I'm always up for a great thriller and mystery novel, and this one sounds intense.


5. Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson - I've mentioned this retelling of the Bluebeard fairy tale way too many times, but that just shows how excited I am for its release. I really hope I won't be disappointed, especially with that enchanting cover.

6. Some Quiet Place by Kelsey Sutton - What all of the books on this list have in common are intriguing premises. This synopsis, in particular, is original. Elizabeth Caldwell doesn't feel emotions because she sees them. And Elizabeth and her emotion Fear are trying to unravel a mystery that has something to do with strange paintings in the family barn. Not to mention, there's a "stalking menace" after Elizabeth. With a mixture of fantasy and suspense, I think I will love this book.


7. The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd - This book had me at "gruesome experiments" and a "dark and breathless Gothic thriller." It is inspired by H.G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, and I usually can't resist a retelling of classic literature. I mean, as long as the retelling looks halfway decent. I'll have to read the original before reading this book.

8. Premeditated by Josin L. McQuein - Oooooh, a mystery thriller with a revenge plot. After Dinah's cousin Claire cuts her wrists, Dinah reads her diary and finds out why. Now she's out to get the boy who hurt Claire. Sounds like a hell of a ride.



9. The Murmurings by Carly Anne West - Last but not least, we have The Murmurings. I actually had this as a WoW in the past, and it has been on my Amazon wish list for too long. With people hearing voices and suicide, this book sounds positively frightening. Should be an entertaining read!

10. Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn - I love that this book is listed as horror, paranormal, and mystery. All of the above genres attracted me. Apparently, Annaliese is trapped in someone else's body with no memory of how she got there. She has to remember her past before she can move on. I can't wait to read this!

I can't wait to see what 2013 debuts everyone is looking forward to!



7 comments:

  1. Another Little Piece is on my list as well. I haven't heard of Coda before, but it sounds SUPER interesting--what a great premise! I've seen the Madman's Daughter on a lot of lists, but I don't know if I can get over the title. Books titled "The X's Daughter/Wife" is one of my bookish pet peeves and an automatic turn-off. Then again, I do like gothic tales, so. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, now that you've mentioned it, I realize there's a lot of titles with daughter and wife in them. Time Traveler's Wife. The Memory Keeper's Daughter. The Zookeeper's wife. The Gravedigger's Daughter. I only read them if I think they will be good. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your edgy list and can't wait for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oooooh...edgy. I like that adjective. :)

      Delete
  3. The Murmurings sounds so intriguing - full of mystery and just the perfect creep factor! I can't wait to read it, as well as many other reads on this list. Great Top Ten, Courtney! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keertana! :D I could use a good horror book. Haven't read one in some time.

      Delete
  4. Awesome list! The tops on my list include BEING HENRY DAVID by Cal Amistead, DEAR LIFE, YOU SUCK by Scott Blagden, and DR. BIRD’S ADVICE FOR SAD POETS by Evan Roskos.

    ReplyDelete

Courtney Reads A Lot loves comments a lot! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2014 Courtney Reads A Lot
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs