Recommend A...Book That Lived Up To Your Expecations (4)

Monday, November 5, 2012 12:00 AM
Recommend A... is a weekly meme hosted by Chick Loves Lit. This week's is Recommend A...book that lived up to your expectations.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young
Sypnosis
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction. (Goodreads)
This book far exceeded my expectations. Everything about it was fantastic. Blood Red Road was a legit dystopia with cage fighting and slaves and giant man-eating worms. You need to check this book out! It has adventure, bands of warrior women, and even a little romance. Not to mention the heroine is a force to be reckoned with. Plus, the unique writing style makes the book all the more authentic. Rebel Heart just arrived, and I cannot wait to read it!

What book would you recommend this week?

4 comments:

  1. I loved Blood Red Road! I was actually surprised that I loved it that much. It took awhile for me to get absorbed by the book but when it did there was no getting out!

    I always recommend based on a genre so if you have specific genre you want to read...

    But light books are most often than not safe choices so I'd recommend Anna and the French Kiss if you haven't read it yet! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everybody has given that book positive reviews. I'm not usually into contemporary, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation, Gellie!

      I'm usually looking for fantasy reads and dark fantasy. And some horror and mystery. And it always depends on your mood, ya know?

      Delete
  2. I keep thinking I need to try this one. :)

    I keep looking for something to spook and entrance me like Anna Dressed in Blood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one wasn't really spooky. Have you read Long Lankin? That one definitely had the creepy factor.

      Delete

Courtney Reads A Lot loves comments a lot! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2014 Courtney Reads A Lot
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs