1. Stephen King - Did you even have to ask what my numero uno would be for this list? If you know me, you know King's a given. I'm slowly working through his bazillion published books, reading them one by one, and they are all amazing. This man is a genius. I want to marry his brillant, sick mind (sorry, I'll get a hold of myself).
2. Patrick Ness - If his other works are anything like his Chaos Walking series, then I'm on board. This man has made a diehard fan out of me. I cannot wait to read more of his books, like A Monster Calls and his upcoming releases. I cannot imagine that he will disappoint.
3. Tamora Pierce - This woman is wonderful. Her writing has me singing her praises. After reading three of her series, I crave even more. She is simply amazing at doing what she does best: fantasy.
4. J.K. Rowling - Since she wrote the Harry Potter series, like many others, I have been waiting for my Hogwarts acceptance letter. It still hasn't come. But I have not given up hope! I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt and try her Casual Vacancy, with some anxiety, but also confidence in her writing capabilities. You are my hero, J.K. Rowling.
5. Cassandra Clare - Clare's books for me are like what candy is for a sweet tooth. I cannot get enough of them. As soon as one of her new books comes out, I snatch it up and read it in one sitting. I have to be prepared when a book of hers is released. I need a full night of sleep, caffeine, and plenty of time to read. Because once I start, I'm not stopping. I can't explain why I love her writing so. It's just so addictive.
6. Laini Taylor - So far, Taylor has blown me away with her Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. I couldn't find a fault with this series if I tried. I just love her writing, and I am anxious and beyond excited to read more by her in the future.
Well, those are all the authors I could come up with. There are others I could have included here because I loved, loved, LOVED one of their books and I'm pretty sure they have out of this world talent, but I can't know for sure until I've read more by them. It's safe to say I'm more of a book person than an author person. I generally read books because they sound like they're up my alley and not because they're by a certain person (but there are exceptions). Though there are plenty of dead authors that I would put on my auto-buy list...like TOLKIEN!