Top Ten Books to Get Into the Halloween Spirit (9)

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:54 PM
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. Every week, you post a Top Ten list following a bookish theme. This week's Top Ten Tuesday is:

Top Ten Books to Get Into the Halloween Spirit


1. Pet Sematary by Stephen King - Just like almost every other King book, Pet Sematary is terrifying. I could not read this book at night. I had nightmares. I mean, what wouldn't be creepy about animals, and people, coming back to life not entirely their old selves? As in, I will kill you in your sleep or stare at you creepily. I could make this whole list Stephen King, but I'll give some variety.

2. Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill - From Stephen King's son, Heart-Shaped Box is a haunting read. Basically, a rock star buys a ghost off of an auction site. This is not just any ghost, but a vengeance seeking spirit. This book will definitely have you afraid of things that go bump in the night.

3. The Passage by Justin Cronin - Cronin's vampires do not sparkle in the daytime. They are deadly. That's why I love this book. It terrified me and thrilled me, and it was such a dark, horrific read. 

4. The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe - If I want creepy, I always turn to Poe. I'm in love with his mind. And this tale is one of my favorites. It's great to read during a thunderstorm in the dark of night. If you have a raven sitting on your chamber door, it's even better.

5. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill - While it wasn't as scary as the movie, The Woman in Black was still a frightening read. I was afraid to be alone at night. I mean, in a strange way, you could look at this book as a great example of woman's power. Don't mess with a woman or she'll go crazy and kill off the town's children. Great lesson. She definitely knows how to keep a grudge. 

6. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - One of my favorite books. It's a psychological thriller and has some creeptastic moments. You're so vain. You probably think this song is about you. Don't you? That's Dorian's anthem.

7. The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft - If you're looking for some great horror, just pick up some Lovecraft. It will definitely put you in the Halloween spirit.

8. Dracula by Bram Stoker - This is near and dear to my heart. It's a classic everyone should read, even if they don't like vampires. So we can all hate Mina together.

9. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Another horrific classic. I'm seeing a trend here. When I go for horror, I go back to my old favorites. 

10. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice - I have yet to read this entire series which I deeply regret. But  I definitely recommend the first book. The vampires are graceful and beautiful, but also deadly killers. The movie's a must see too! Brad Pitt, Antonio Banderas, Kirsten Dunst, and Tom Cruise all as vampires! Awesomesauce.

I could go on and on, but that would be annoying and cheating. So that's my Top Ten! I really enjoyed this one because I love Halloween and scary books! 

How about you? What scary books would you recommend?


2 comments:

  1. Interview! A good one. It's been years and years since I've read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I should reread it and finish the series. Loved it!

      Delete

Courtney Reads A Lot loves comments a lot! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2014 Courtney Reads A Lot
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs