Top Ten Characters Who Are Bookish
There is nothing I love more than reading a book with a protagonist that loves to read. It makes the character so much more relatable, and while I know they're fictional characters, I still love learning about their favorite books and how they escape from reality through fiction.
1. Matilda Wormwood from Matilda by Roald Dahl - I haven't read this book in years, but it was one of my favorites when I was younger. Matilda is a bookish fiend, and I think she definitely belongs on this list.
2. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter series - Hermione was an obvious choice, as she is very studious and bookish. Her extensive knowledge of spells saves Harry and Ron time and time again.
3. Tessa Gray from The Infernal Devices series - Tessa loves reading, and she dreams of one day going on adventures like the heroines in her favorite books. If she only knew what the future had in store for her!
4. Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey - Catherine reads far too many Gothic novels, which only fuels her overactive imagination and leads her to dream up all sorts of skeletons in people's closets.
5. Liesel from The Book Thief - The Book Thief takes place in 1939 in Nazi Germany. Like Liesel, I'd want to steal books and spend most of my time reading too. What better way to escape from such a dismal time?
6. Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire series - I figure it's only fair to include a male character in this list since not only females read. When asked why he reads so many books, the Imp says, "My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge." Well said, Tyrion.Looking for Alaska - Alaska's room is filled with stacks upon stacks of books. She says, “When I look at my room, I see a girl who loves books.”
8. Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Another male character! Charlie loves reading so much, he is actually given additional reading assignments by his English teacher, Bill. I wish I had an English teacher like that in high school. I would have loved the extra reading.
9. Charmain Baker from House of Many Ways - Charmain may be annoying at times, but I love her because she's a bookworm. She would gladly spend her entire day with her nose in a book, but instead, against all of her expectations, she gets caught up in a magical adventure.
10. Bastian from The Neverending Story - Bastian takes refuge in books, escaping from a life of bullying and insecurities. When he steals a book called The Neverending Story, he has no idea what he's in for.
Can anyone think of a bookish character I forgot to mention? Did you pick a different topic for this week's TTT? Let me know and leave the link to your Top Ten Tuesday in the comments!